15 Dec Flexible Frozen Food Packaging: How It Makes A Brand Stand Out
Frozen foods have been the food of convenience in India for a few years now, especially during the pandemic. Most people lead a busy life and are always in a hurry to get their chores done. Frozen foods have entered as a saviour for such people. When it comes to frozen food packaging, it is essential to maintain high integrity as it goes through several other processes too. For this read, let’s check out the evolution of frozen food bags (packaging) and different types of frozen food packaging that can make your brand stand out.
A] Frozen Food Packaging: Then vs Now
It was the late 1920s when companies first began to use the technology for freezing, transporting and storing frozen foods. At that time, the packaging solutions used by these companies to preserve frozen foods were adequate but far from being favourable.
Initially, companies selling frozen foods packed them in cardboard cartons. These worked pretty well, but they would become saturated if the ice thawed. They were not durable and provided very little protection to the food.
Today, however, companies that sell frozen foods have a variety of flexible frozen packaging options. These options offer good sealing capabilities and are moisture-proof. They also include moulded coolers, insulated pallet covers, and much more.
These packing solutions have made it simpler for frozen food manufacturers to insulate and store frozen food for longer periods without any worry. Flexible packaging solutions also offer several advantages compared to traditional packaging. What’s more, they offer smart and innovative packaging solutions that are customer-friendly.
B] Why is Flexible Frozen Food Packaging the Best Option?
Millennials prefer convenience, and what is better than convenience with added flexibility? Apart from being cost-effective, flexible packaging for frozen foods is easy to open, lightweight, portable (easy to transport), and resealable. Also, while freezing, most food products expand depending upon their moisture content. Thus, the material used for frozen food packaging should be strong and flexible to accommodate these changes without hampering the food. Flexible packaging also offers exceptional food safety, which helps enhance the shelf-life of the product.
C] Custom Frozen Food Packaging: Important Factors to Consider
- Packaging Materials Used: Selecting apt packaging materials for frozen foods is the key to their improved shelf-life. It is vital to protect food against external bacteria or microbes. The use of the right packaging materials helps in preserving the food and ensures it doesn’t get spoiled. Ensure the material used is leak-proof, doesn’t dry out the food, protects its nutritional value & texture, and maintains the food’s taste.
- Custom Freezer Food Packaging: In a world where frozen food is getting rapidly acceptable, custom freezer food packaging has become the need of the hour. Frozen food packaging solutions that meet the needs of consumers, who are short on time but do not compromise on the quality of their food, are essential. For example, frozen food bags are excellent for brands that sell products like frozen vegetables, frozen meats, etc. These are durable as well as convenient for the customers.
- Space-Saving: Limited space and too much to store? Space-saving freezer bags is the answer you are looking for. Help your consumers store maximum in minimum space by using flexible packaging for your products.
- Type of seal: Quality frozen food packaging should be well-sealed and durable. It should remain intact during all handling processes and for preservation. Broken seals could result in contamination, freezer burns, or food spillages, which can have a negative impact on the brand’s credibility. Experienced frozen food packaging ensure a good quality seal is part of all their packaging solutions.
- High Barrier Films: High Barrier Films, also known as thermoforming films, do not puncture easily and are dense enough to prevent leakages, so water/moisture doesn’t seep into the food. They are considered most suitable for frozen food packaging because they maintain their form and functionality even in sub-zero temperatures. Products such as meat, dairy, confectionery, beverages, etc are the most common products that require high barrier film packaging.
- Branding and Design: Most foods are directly visible from the glass doors of refrigerators in stores. Having your brand name and engaging graphics with appealing colours on packaging can catch customers attention instantly. Your brand’s name is your identity that the customer knows you from, while colours and graphics make the packaging more attractive. Flexible packaging offers you the advantage of branding and designing your product the right way.
D] Types of Packaging to Make Your Brand Stand Out
1. Transparent Stand Up Pouches
Excellent quality transparent stand up pouches offer multi-layer barrier properties that are great for packaging solid and liquid products such as frozen foods, coffee, cereals, herbs, cookies, pickles, etc. They have a durable tear notch which makes them reusable and is very lightweight. They also provide high visibility for the products packed inside them, which can also attract customers or increase their curiosity for the same, which is an advantage. Its stand up design ensures that it can be conveniently placed on flat surfaces without any support and are available in different sizes and types like transparent stand up pouches with and without a zipper, clear and unprinted stand-up zipper pouches, etc.
2. Metallized Stand Up Pouches
If you want to protect food from moisture, UV lights and/or oxygen, then transparent stand up pouches are an ideal choice. These pouches are manufactured using aluminium layers along with standard PET and offer a unique high barrier. Featuring airtight and resealable zip closure, it offers longer shelf value, maintaining the flavour and freshness of foods. They are user-friendly, lightweight and available in different sizes, shapes, colours and structures. These pouches are primarily used for popcorn, frozen fruits, dried fruits, grains, etc.
3. Digital Printed Pouches
Visual appeal is important when it comes to the packaging of products. Digital prints on pouches can enhance the look of your product in the eyes of customers. Digital prints also improve supply chain efficiencies. You can highlight your brand’s features with digitally printed graphics on pouches. They are also an affordable way to customise your brand and product, making it stand out in the market or the retail shelf. What’s more, these frozen food pouches are also available in varied sizes, colours and types.
While excellent packaging is vital for the success of a business, it is equally important to make it appealing so that it engages with and stands out for your customers, especially if it’s a new brand launched in the market. The market keeps changing with every new trend, and it’s upon the businesses to cope up with trends and make their products stand out with attractive packaging.
With endless options, a business should know which ideas can give their brand a new life, and which ideas can impact their brand negatively. Compared to rigid, traditional packing, flexible stand up pouches can make your business stand out and outshine your competitors. Hence, make an informed decision that can prove to be the most appropriate for your business and suitable for your products.